The 1999 Proof Set (Buy on eBay) began the State Quarters era. Starting this year, five different quarter designs were released annually to honor each of the 50 states in the order they ratified the Constitution or joined the Union. This ambitious and innovative program expanded the number of coins included in the standard Proof Set from five to nine, representing the highest number of coins for the modern era to date. The price of the set rose to $19.95 to account for the extra coins.
Each set contains the five State Quarters honoring Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, and Connecticut. Completing the set were the 1999-dated Lincoln Cent, Jefferson Nickel, Roosevelt Dime, and Kennedy Half Dollar. All coins were struck at the San Francisco Mint and carry the “S” mint mark.
The U.S. Mint did not produce a Prestige Set or a Premier Set for this year. However, they did introduce the State Quarter Proof Set, which contained only the five State Quarters for the year in Proof version.
The packaging for the 1999 Proof Set was redesigned to accommodate the additional coins. The cent, nickel, dime, and half dollar were sealed in a single lens with a decorative blue insert. The five State Quarters were sealed in a separate plastic lens. The two lenses were packaged with a certificate of authenticity in a cardboard box with the Statue of Liberty featured prominently.
1999 Proof Set Coins
- 1999-S Proof Lincoln Cent (“Close AM” reverse design accidently used on some Proof coins)
- 1999-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 1999-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 1999-S Proof Delaware State Quarter
- 1999-S Proof Pennsylvania State Quarter
- 1999-S Proof New Jersey State Quarter
- 1999-S Proof Georgia State Quarter
- 1999-S Proof Connecticut State Quarter
- 1999-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
1999 Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 9
- Face Value: $1.91
- Original Issue Price: $19.95
- Mintage: 2,2,543,401