There were a total of eighteen different coins included in the 2009 Proof Set (Buy on eBay). This represented the largest number of coins on record for the annual coin set. The increased scope of the set was due to the one year District of Columbia and U.S. Territories Quarters Program, which featured six quarter designs, and the 2009 Lincoln Cents, which featured four different designs.
The price for the annual Proof Set was $29.95, representing an increase of $3 from the prior year. The higher price was attributed to the expanded number of coins included in each set as well as the special composition of 95% copper used to strike the cents. Under the authorizing legislation for the design change, the Secretary of the Treasury was authorized to strike the coins in their original composition for sales in numismatic products.
Each coin was produced at the San Francisco Mint and carried the “S” mint mark. The coins are struck in high quality Proof with a deep cameo finish.
Sales of the 2009 Proof Set exceeded the level reached in the prior year. During the period of availability, U.S. Mint customers ordered 1,482,502 sets.
The U.S. Mint offered several different annual sets separately. This included the 2009 Bicentennial Lincoln Cent Proof Set, 2009 D.C. & U.S. Territories Quarters Proof Set, 2009 Presidential Dollars Proof Set, Silver Proof Set, and 2009 D.C. & U.S. Territories Silver Proof Set.
The packaging for the 2009 Proof Set was redesigned following the completion of the State Quarters Series. Four separate lenses contained the Proof coins against colorful backgrounds. The lenses and a certificate of authenticity were all placed within a single cardboard box. It bore the U.S. Mint logo and states “2009 United States Mint Proof Set.”
2009 Proof Set Coins
- 2009-S Proof Birth and Early Childhood Lincoln Cent
- 2009-S Proof Formative Years Lincoln Cent
- 2009-S Proof Professional Life Lincoln Cent
- 2009-S Proof Presidency Lincoln Cent
- 2009-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2009-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2009-S Proof District of Columbia Quarter
- 2009-S Proof Puerto Rico Quarter
- 2009-S Proof Guam Quarter
- 2009-S Proof American Samoa Quarter
- 2009-S Proof U.S. Virgin Islands Quarter
- 2009-S Proof Northern Mariana Islands Quarter
- 2009-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2009-S Proof Native American Dollar
- 2009-S Proof William Henry Harrison Presidential Dollar
- 2009-S Proof John Tyler Presidential Dollar
- 2009-S Proof James K. Polk Presidential Dollar
- 2009-S Proof Zachary Taylor Presidential Dollar
2009 Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 18
- Face Value: $7.19
- Original Issue Price: $29.95
- Mintage: 1,482,502