The number of coins included in the 2006 Silver Proof Set (Buy on eBay) was reduced compared to the prior year. The scope of the set had been expanded in the previous two years due to the two separate designs issued for the nickel. Starting this year, the original reverse design of the Jefferson Nickel would be restored, paired with a newly created obverse design.
Sales of the full annual Silver Proof Set would begin on May 10, 2006, with a cost of $37.95 for each ten coin set. The 90% silver coins included the Kennedy Half Dollar, Nevada Quarter, Nebraska Quarter, Colorado Quarter, North Dakota Quarter, South Dakota Quarter, and Roosevelt Dime. The remaining coins struck in their standard compositions were the Sacagawea Dollar, Jefferson Nickel, and Lincoln Cent.
Earlier in the year, the U.S. Mint began sales of a separate five coin set, containing only the 90% silver State Quarters. Sales had begun on January 19, 2006, with the sets priced at $23.95 each.
The final mintage for the full 2006 Silver Proof Set was 1,054,008, while the component set including only the quarters had a mintage of 531,000.
Packaging for the standard Silver Proof Set remained unchanged from recent prior years and featured an image of the Statue of Liberty and U.S. Mint logo on a red color scheme. The coins inside were sealed in two different plastic lenses and a certificate of authenticity was included.
2006 Silver Proof Set Coins
- 2006-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2006-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2006-S Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2006-S Silver Proof Nevada State Quarter
- 2006-S Silver Proof Nebraska State Quarter
- 2006-S Silver Proof Colorado State Quarter
- 2006-S Silver Proof North Dakota State Quarter
- 2006-S Silver Proof South Dakota State Quarter
- 2006-S Silver Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2006-S Proof Sacagawea Dollar
2006 Silver Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 10
- Face Value: $2.91
- Silver Content: 1.338 troy oz. (41.616 g)
- Original Issue Price: $37.95
- Mintage: 1,054,008