The number of coins in the 2006 Proof Set (Buy on eBay) dropped by one, following the completion Westward Journey Nickel reverse design series. For this year, the Jefferson Nickel would begin using a permanent new obverse design paired with the classic Monticello reverse.
Despite the slightly smaller sized set, the price remained unchanged from the prior year at $22.95. The final sales extended just above the 2 million unit mark.
Each 2006 Proof Set contained the five 2006 Sate Quarters honoring Nevada, Nebraska, Colorado, North Dakota, and South Dakota. This represented the eighth year of the series and the thirty-fifth to fortieth states to join the Union. The remaining coins were the 2006-dated Sacagawea Dollar, Kennedy Half Dollar, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson Nickel, and Lincoln Cent.
The U.S. Mint issued a total of four annual Proof Sets for 2006. Besides the regular version, there was a set containing 90% silver coins—the 2006 Silver Proof Set—and two separate State Quarters Proof Sets, in clad and 90% silver compositions.
Packaging for the 2006 Proof Set remained the same as established for the launch of the State Quarters Program in 1999. The Statue of Liberty appears on blue color schemed outer box. The coins inside are sealed in two separate plastic lenses with a certificate of authenticity.
2006 Proof Set Coins
- 2006-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2006-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2006-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2006-S Proof Nevada State Quarter
- 2006-S Proof Nebraska State Quarter
- 2006-S Proof Colorado State Quarter
- 2006-S Proof North Dakota State Quarter
- 2006-S Proof South Dakota State Quarter
- 2006-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2006-S Proof Sacagawea Dollar
2006 Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 10
- Face Value: $2.91
- Original Issue Price: $22.95
- Mintage: 2,000,428