The mintage level for the 2002 Silver Proof Set (Buy on eBay) remained little changed from the previous year, with a final sales tally of 892,229 units. The annual set included ten different coins, with seven of them struck in a composition of 90% silver.
The coins included in each set were the five state quarters featuring Tennessee, Ohio, Louisiana, Indiana, and Mississippi, the Sacagawea Dollar, Kennedy Half Dollar, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson Nickel, and Lincoln Cent. The quarters, half dollar, and dime were struck in silver composition, while the remaining three coins were struck in their standard compositions.
Each set includes aggregate silver content of 1.33823 troy ounces. At the time of issue, the melt value of the silver accounted for only a small portion of the overall value of the set. For all of 2002, the price of silver was less than $5 per ounce. In more recent years, as the market price of silver has risen, the intrinsic value of the coins in the set have come to represent a significant portion of the overall value.
Packaging for the 2002 Silver Proof Set continued the theme introduced for the start of the State Quarters Program. The outer cardboard box carried a picture of the Statue of Liberty in a red color scheme. Within the box were two plastic lenses containing the five state quarters and the five remaining coins.
2002 Silver Proof Set Coins
- 2002-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2002-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2002-S Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2002-S Silver Proof Tennessee State Quarter
- 2002-S Silver Proof Ohio State Quarter
- 2002-S Silver Proof Louisiana State Quarter
- 2002-S Silver Proof Indiana State Quarter
- 2002-S Silver Proof Mississippi State Quarter
- 2002-S Silver Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2002-S Proof Sacagawea Dollar
2002 Silver Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 10
- Face Value: $2.91
- Silver Content: 1.338 troy oz. (41.616 g)
- Original Issue Price: $31.95
- Mintage: 892,229