The price of the 2004 Proof Set (Buy on eBay) was increased by $3 from the previous year’s basic set. The increase was attributed to the inclusion of an additional coin, but the coin collecting public seemed to respond negatively by purchasing 400,000 fewer units. The final mintage of 1,789,488 represented the first total below the 2 million mark since the start of the State Quarters Program.
The new coins included in this year’s set were the first two design of the Westward Journey Nickels Series, featuring the Peace Medal and Keelboat. Other coins in the 2004 Proof Set were the Michigan, Florida, Texas, Iowa, and Wisconsin State Quarters, Lincoln Cent, Roosevelt Dime, Kennedy Half Dollar, and Sacagawea Dollar.
Starting this year, there were four different Proof Set offerings from the U.S. Mint, the regular clad set, the 90% Silver Proof Set, and separate state quarter sets in clad and 90% silver. The increased number of component sets may have contributed to the decline in sales for the standard sets.
The 2004 Proof Set packaging maintained the same look that had been established with the State Quarters series. The Statue of Liberty is featured with design elements themed in blue. Two plastic lens separately contain the State Quarters and the remaining coins. The outside of the box indicated the contents with a logo for the United States Mint.
2004 Proof Set Coins
- 2004-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2004-S Proof Peace Medal Westward Journey Nickel
- 2004-S Proof Keelboat Westward Journey Nickel
- 2004-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2004-S Proof Michigan State Quarter
- 2004-S Proof Florida State Quarter
- 2004-S Proof Texas State Quarter
- 2004-S Proof Iowa State Quarter
- 2004-S Proof Wisconsin State Quarter
- 2004-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2004-S Proof Sacagawea Dollar
2004 Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 11
- Face Value: $2.96
- Original Issue Price: $22.95
- Mintage: 1,789,488