The 2000 Silver Proof Set (Buy on eBay) was the second year of the State Quarters series and the first year of the new Sacagawea Dollar. This new series served to expand the number of coins in the Silver Proof Set to ten. Despite the additional coin and the increase in face value, the United States Mint did not raise the price of the annual set, but left it unchanged at $31.95
After collectors experienced an unexpected sell out in the previous year for the 1999 Silver Proof Set, they took no chances and ordered the 2000-dated sets in heavier numbers. The general popularity of coin collecting was also on the rise, as people around the country began to assemble collections from pocket change and venture into premium priced U.S. Mint product offerings. The final mintage for the 2000 Silver Proof Set was 965,421, which represented the highest level for a 90% silver modern set since 1992.
Each set included five different quarters honoring Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, and Virginia, struck in silver composition. The remaining five coins were the 2000-dated Sacagawea Dollar, Kennedy Half Dollar, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson Nickel, and Lincoln Cent. All coins were produced at San Francisco and carried the “S” mint mark.
Packaging remained consistent with the new style that had been established in the previous year. The five silver state quarters were contained in one plastic lens, with the remaining coins in another. The inserts were themed in red to match the red color scheme of the outer cardboard box.
2000 Silver Proof Set Coins
- 2000-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2000-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2000-S Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2000-S Silver Proof Massachusetts State Quarter
- 2000-S Silver Proof Maryland State Quarter
- 2000-S Silver Proof South Carolina State Quarter
- 2000-S Silver Proof New Hampshire State Quarter
- 2000-S Silver Proof Virginia State Quarter
- 2000-S Silver Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2000-S Proof Sacagawea Dollar
2000 Silver Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 10
- Face Value: $2.91
- Silver Content: 1.338 troy oz. (41.616 g)
- Original Issue Price: $31.95
- Mintage: 965,421