As the State Quarters Program entered its third year and the Sacagawea Dollar reached its second year of release, there was a slight retrenchment in the demand for U.S. Mint products. The 2001 Silver Proof Set (Buy on eBay) experienced a mintage decline from the prior year, with final sales tallying just below the 889,697. This represented a decline of about 75,000 units from the prior year.
The slightly lower mintage does give way to a premium on the secondary market, which is also shared by the clad version of this year’s set. Part of the premium is attributable to the 2001-S Proof Sacagawea Dollar included in each set, which is seen as the key Proof issue for the series.
The additional coins included in each 2001 Silver Proof Set are the five State Quarters honoring New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Kentucky, as well as the Kennedy Half Dollar, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson Nickel, and Lincoln Cent. The quarters, half dollar, and dime are minted in 90% silver with specifications which match those of pre-1965 circulation strikes. Remaining coins have their standard modern day compositions.
The packaging for the 2001 Silver Proof Set remained similar to the design established in 1999. The State Quarters came sealed in a single plastic lens, with the remaining coins sealed in a separate plastic lens. These were placed within a cardboard box along with the obligatory certificate of authenticity.
2001 Silver Proof Set Coins
- 2001-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2001-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2001-S Silver Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2001-S Silver Proof New York State Quarter
- 2001-S Silver Proof North Carolina State Quarter
- 2001-S Silver Proof Rhode Island State Quarter
- 2001-S Silver Proof Vermont State Quarter
- 2001-S Silver Proof Kentucky State Quarter
- 2001-S Silver Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2001-S Proof Sacagawea Dollar
2001 Silver Proof Set Information
- Coins per Set: 10
- Face Value: $2.91
- Silver Content: 1.338 troy oz. (41.616 g)
- Original Issue Price: $31.95
- Mintage: 889,697